Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
No 911 competitor you say?

[IMG]http://boxscorenews.com/clients/boxs...M-10025841.jpg[/IMG]

Y'all need to quiet down. What is a 911 competitor, exactly? AFAIK, the only thing there is to compete with the 911 is another 911. Are the Merc AMG GT and Corvette not 911 fighters? But how could they be if they have much longer wheelbases and engines in the front? Hell, my m240i is as close on paper as you can get to a 911 Carrera these days. 2+2 coupe, RWD, available MT, 1 trunk, 3.0L turbocharged 6-cylinder, 0-60 time of 4.4 seconds. Still, Captain Obvious would tell you it's not a 911 and never will be.

What do you guys really want? A car from BMW that will lap the Nordschleife quicker than a 911 GT2 RS? Keep smoking the crack pipe!
The M2 and M3 can be thought of as relatively affordable, practical alternatives to Porsche ownership. They will never truly be as they aren't mid or rear engined but for a lot of people they serve as a better option for daily use. The non-M cars are not nearly focused enough in terms of details or vision...

I think some of you who haven't driven a 911 or have had limited seat time mythologize the 911 a bit too much. They're good cars but nowhere near the untouchable status they get on forums. I've driven many now of different generations and like them as cars but aren't even the top 10 list of cars I'd like to own. To me they are lacking a sense of humor and lacking character in that old school sort of "fun over all else" way...

The bottom line is BMW doesn't care about competing with the 911. Most car companies don't. Occasionally you'll find cars like the Alfa 4C, Alpine A110, or Lotus have a go at the Cayman or maybe lower end 911s but they're done in a low-volume sort of way...