View Single Post
      07-03-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Thumbs up First week with my 428i GC

Got pulled forward out of my 335 sedan lease into a 428GC this week. I was a bit concerned about the 2.0l four, but BMW really has done another exceptional job with this motor. I can compare it to an Audi TTS I owned for a while and this motor sounds and feels much better and has less turbo lag. The car feels powerful enough, although not power to excess like the 335, and it is interesting to watch the sport display torque meter showing the motor nearly giving its all up steep hills under load. I would say it has just enough power. This motor and ZF 8 speed combo is silky smooth and I doubt the uninformed would even guess it's a four. The car feels much lighter than my 335 (likely due to the light electric assisted steering) and more solid at the same time (likely due to 45k miles on frequently crappy roads the 335 endured).

A few negative notes on this particular model: The hatch space really isn't any more than a regular trunk would offer. Headroom is low in the back and it is more awkward to get into and out of than the sedan. Hard to really call this a negative, but paddle shifting down from 8th gear to say, 3rd in order to get some engine braking is a bit much.

Now the pros: I really do think this is the sleekest sedan BMW has ever built (I consider the 6 series GC too big and expensive). After living with the car for a few days, I now better appreciate the differences BMW engineered into the new 4 series coupe vs the 3 sedans. My "luxury line" seems to sit surprisingly low over the wheels - I guess these coupes get a standard sport suspension drop?

Since the purchase of a BMW is frequently style driven, and anyone considering a small sedan probably really isn't too worried about rear passenger space, for the nominal extra money over the 3 series I don't see why anyone wouldn't buy one! (But don't rush out just yet, I want to enjoy being first on the block for a while! )

Last edited by xG35c; 07-04-2014 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0