Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
South Africa is notorious for you can only feel (relatively?) safe sticking to the whites there. Which areas/districts in South Africa would you relate to overall Portugal as safer: the safe or unsafe ones? I mean I haven't been to either but touristic documentaries depict Portugal as a poor country only, not a criminal one.

Another strange looking in the list is Mauritius. Isn't it an (relatively? ) expensive touristic paradise? Still safer than Portugal or do you mean it's rural parts?
Not sure what you are on about with this post, but that is racist as hell, man. I am in South Africa a lot, and I am white, and I don't feel less safe if in Parkhurst than if I am Sandton and don't feel less safe in Pinetown than Umhlanga.

Portugal isn't a criminal country, but due to poverty compared to the relative richness of other West European countries, opportunistic crime is quite high (pickpockets, ATM skimming, scams, snatch and grab, etc.) In reality, it probably isn't any worse than the countries I mentioned, but I was trying to make a point. Maybe I should have said 'wouldn't fee less safe in the African countries' versus saying 'would feel safer in the African countries'.

Mauritius is quite safe, hence my previous post. Not sure what you mean here about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
I'm heading to Porto and Lisbon in November - can someone tell me what's so unsafe about Portugal?
Read my comment to the other poster above - it isn't unsafe, just less safe than the other European countries. I was just teasing him about picking Portugal compared to other western European countries. It's fine, other than opportunistic crime. Just keep a keen eye on your surroundings. I would compare Portugal in safety to some of the less developed Eastern European countries with regard to safety versus the more well known Western European ones. Still okay.