View Single Post
      11-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #20
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

Sounds like they were just being dicks. I've never had a problem test driving any number of supercars as long as they allowed test drives at all, because they know not to piss off buyers in that segment and it's all about a good customer relationship. However with volume vehicles like the 328i they don't care about you wasting half an hour of theirs. Car sales are almost entierly comission based on the dealer profit which is very low on the volume models, so if you're buying the volume model, and they feel like brushing you off they will check your credit and ask for a deposit.

If the salesman really cares so little about showing the car to you then I'd take my business elsewhere. The sales guys who brush people off are the WORST ones there are I've found. They tend to be the least knowlegable, and generally give you the worst buying experience there is. The best salesmen bend over backwards to sell a car as long as they have a free moment. I tipped the sales guy of my Aston Martin $300 just because he went so far and beyond what I needed. When I was buying my current BMW the salesperson bent over backwards and even helped me buy a lightly used car from another dealership, spending time calling the other dealer up and setting up an appointment and even seeing how low they were willing to negotiate on it for me. I didn't buy a car from him, but I did give him $150 for the effort, and I'll be buying a CPO'ed M3 or new Z4 from him some time in the next few years.
Appreciate 0