11-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #17
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Let me guess, you're a fellow engineer who also moved into management and hasnt gotten to do any real down and dirty CAD work for years? It's been so long for me that the last CAD package I used was AutoCAD back in like 1996! I sketched everything up for the box in a notebook which is how I roll these days. Wish I could use Solidworks. I have a couple employees who would have gladly done it for me in solidworks but that whole company resource thing, you know. Gotta set a good example.
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster
Man, you can sidetrack any of my threads with tasty 80 series talk! I LOVE those things. Man how I love them. We were very close to buying one but ultimately went with the FJ as it's a little smaller and my wife felt more comfortable driving it. That and we wanted absolute reliability and now that those things are like 20 to 25 yers old, we just couldn't bring ourselves to shell out that kind of coin on such an old vehicle when reliability was at the top of the list. Now that I try to shoehorn all our needs into the FJ (including sleeping in it) I wonder if we went a little too small!

I think maybe it's time to start and over-landing build thread?!
I'll tell you, the thing is an absolute tank. That said, I have the newest one you can legally get, and it is 23 years old. Sure, you can get <100k examples, but you're going to want a '95 - '97 ('96+ for me since I want OBDII). With the right (read, correct) options, you're looking at biiiig coin for what it is. I mean $77k + fees on BaT?!?! A '95 just sold for $60k. Makes me happy with what I've got.

My opinion, you got the right truck. They sell for now with 50k miles what they sold for new and more appropriate technology. While mine is indestructible, it's only at that point because effectively everything has been replaced. Yours will be many, many years to that point.

That said, it's my adventure truck and adventures we shall see! I'm worried we are the minority with overlanding on here, however. I wonder if it will make it to Seattle...
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11446.00