08-29-2019, 09:01 AM   #220
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Do you really think there are enough customers out there wanting the more hardcore vehicle these days? Enough to turn the clock backwards for BMW?

I have my doubts. When you read some of the customer reviews and how they felt BMW models, (of a couple generations back), rode too hard, lacked comfort, etc. The writing was on the wall, for BMW to soften the cars. I see it that BMW responded to customer demand. A few vocal enthusiasts and road testers didn't like the new direction. Many users see an improvement in what they want from BMW. Now we see such things as the infotainment system, often being the deciding factor of what brand to get into. I see a changed motoring world, changing as we move forward, but not in the direction of the past.

I may be wrong, but reading some of the technical press, which looks at the wider transport market, BMW (or any of the other marques) won't be going back to the good old days. We are in a different era. M-cars are the models, to fill the need of the hard core driver. The M-performance models bridge the divide.
I do believe that to be the case. Look at it this way, BMW got to where it is, sales wise, by having fun to drive vehicles. X series cars have always been slightly sportier than their direct competition. BMW accomplished this through differentiated parts and setups. Now they are ditching that approach. I'm calling it now; the gap will narrow, BMW won't pull ahead in sales. The cars are so close now between the germans that sales will come down to whoever has 0% financing or doesnt charge for android auto or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
If they did, BMW would likely lose sales to Audi and Merc. There are so many comparisons to them both, even on this very forum... Audi "do this better", Merc "do that better", type comments. Luxuries, onboard tech', tech' integration and the like, are what folks want today, including the typical BMW driver.

As I mentioned yesterday (in the other topic), there seems to be more interest in how Carplay integrates, than driving dynamics, when reviewing the latest BMWs. And that is on here, a BMW enthusiast forum.

I see BMW going back to the "BMW of old" would, without some clever innovations we are unaware of, be company suicide.
The "typical" BMW driver is driving an M2 or 340 these days. The new BMW driver is the Hyundai driver who shells out 10% more to get a BMW badge and gets an X1/X3 etc.