Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I don't get these drag races. I love my M2 because of the handling not because it is fast in a straight line.
Slower than the M4 though?
Why wouldn't it be? Same motor, extra weight. Is there a world that it wouldn't be slower?
Sure, it's not really much lighter you see. The M2 was never intended to be made and the 2 series is the budget bmw in general and the chassis was made to be cheap not light weight.
Since demand was there bmw made the M2 work as an afterthought. But it's still an S55 taped into a small but massive chassis. It's like a black hole.
3350 for the M2 and 3410 for the M4? 8.1 power to weight ratio for both, which is very good.
GENERALLY smaller cars are seen as sportier because smaller = less weight. The M2 is not less weight. It's the same weight but a smaller size.

Consider now the advantages of a big car vs a small car. Big cars generally weigh more. But BMW plans ahead and makes the M4 have bits of aluminum and Carbon fiber in the chassis to save weight.
Bigger cars get bigger wheel bases. Bigger wheel base comes with inherent advantages. More stability at high speed and better pitch control under braking and accelerating. This means the M4 (and M5) can run a softer suspension set up and achieve everything an M2 can while being both more comfortable for the space and the ride smoothness. In addition under braking, trailing, and corner exit it's capable of smoother transitions. It also can hit curbs and bumps without the chassis upsetting which the M2 is less adept at this.

It's not just BMWs pricing model that reflects the superiority of the large cars. In GT becuase weight is balanced the bigger cars get more area for aero. In F1 the increasing number of street courses has led to longer wheel bases being preferred as they can handle the bumps.

The M2 having no weight benefit and equal power to weight is simply a squirrelly harder to control M4. Maybe you want this for fun sake, or maybe the smaller package psychologically feels better, but it has failed to outperform the M4. Maybe BMW refuses to give it the power that could give it an edge? Either way I hope that BMW gives the 2 series the proper M treatment with regards to weight management. A 3100 lbs M2 would love definately be a a real M2.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0