12-16-2019, 08:56 AM   #539
Ducguy46
CLTMCarGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M Roadster, Z4M Coupe, M3G80

Garage List
08 Z4 M Coupe

My first BMW was a 2008 BMW Z4 M Coupe that I purchased in 2010. I had been looking for cars for awhile, doing my research and looking for something unique as this was going to be my first car over $30,000 as my budget was $32,000. I found this Z4 M Coupe in Barrington, IL at the BMW dealership. Apparently the previous owner was an older gentleman that bought the car and then realized that for winters in IL a rear wheel drive low clearance car was not the best choice and he turned it back in with 2,000 miles and bought himself an M3. The problem was the car was going for $40,000 and even though I talked them down to $38,000 at the time I was still short. My father, a short Italian man with a passion for motorsports and cars saw my conundrum and without hesitation said, "Buy it before someone else does and I'll give you the money you need," in his Italian/English accent. I completed the deal and till this day I own this baby. She only has 7,500 miles as I now own multiple M cars and Ducati's that keep me busy but the reality is that this car was special not only because it's a scary racing machine even compared to the other M's but because it's one of the best memories I have of my father who passed away not quite 2 years ago. We did the road trip together from NC to IL and put the car on a trailer and drove it back home. My dad made us stop at some tiny, no name restaurant to get a 'big bisteca' or steak as he'd say, to celebrate this occasion. I think he was just as happy as I was and now that I'm a father to a 3 and almost 1 year old I realize he was happy for me. We talked a lot on that drive back to NC and connected in a way we hadn't done it a bit. The drive back was on snowy mountain roads and at times towing the car on a trailer seemed like we were just asking for the grim reaper to visit us early but we made it back home safely. My plan currently (although as a parent I realize more than ever how plans change constantly) is to hold onto this gem for my son. When he's old enough I'll tell him how his Nonno helped me get my first BMW and then tell him about his Nonno who came from a little town outside of Naples (Sassano) and made something pretty impressive of himself by working hard, being kind to people from all walks of life and doing things by the book...that's just who he was.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ducguy46; 12-16-2019 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: Picture is not formatted correctly
Appreciate 4
Moflow2484.50
gio1469.50
..Rush..973.50
W///7435.50