Thread: Car detailing
View Single Post
      12-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Not used any BMW products but I did look into detailing as this is my first black car and we live in hard water area and have a holiday home opposite a very muddy farm.

I enjoy keeping my cars looking good and quite enjoy detailing. (too much time on my hands). Black will be a big challenge.

I found a lot of useful info with a google search - best for folk to look at what suits them rather than paste loads of links etc. Like anything it is a bit subjective.

Personaly I find Autoglym extra gloss protection has worked best for me. I apply gently with microfibre cloth on a clean car. Apply very lightly in straightish sweeps rather than swirls. One panel at a time, avoiding rubber/black plastic bits. When dry after 30mins it just "flicks" off again in straight, light, random directions rather than the traditional rubbing/swirling. Use a clean microfibre cloth for a final finish in order to reduce the risk of scratching/swirls. They sell these cloths cheaply on amazon.

It wont stop stone chips or careless door dings but it does make the car easy to clean and protect from sap etc.

I have given the new car 3 "coats" already in prep for winter.

As most of the info on the net says, the key to succesfully detailing and preserving your paint finish is in how you wash the car in the first place.
Appreciate 0