03-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #20
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjk_glynn View Post
If the OP would consider used, but still want's a white face, the Speedmaster Alaska Project could be a candidate.

[Speedy AK pic deleted]

The Panda is another option

[Speedy Panda pic deleted]

Karl.
Nice Panda. I see you pictured the 35th Anniversary edition. That's a nice touch if one can come by one.

The Alaska Project reissue/update is super cool too and it makes far more sense to wear, especially on a daily basis, than the original AK-Project one. The little space capsule chrono hands are neat and the whole thing is just stunning looking. I think the change up from the characteristic black dial Speedy watches generally have is nice too.

I have yet to figure out just how Omega were going to connect Alaska and the moon together to market the thing. (The AK project watch was initially intended to be an Omega Moonwatch on steroids.) IMO, it's a good thing Omega put the kabosh on the original one as that model would likely never have enjoyed commercial success. It was a bit bizarre looking. That said, that Omega cancelled the watch for regular production makes it truly a collector's piece today.

For a general, daily wear watch that's also a chrono, I would prefer a Speedy neither more nor less than a Daytona, but alas, the OP doesn't want an Omega. Perhaps he's already got one or looked at them and decided they don't call to him. That's fine. It's not like Omega Speedy's are the only good chrono that fits the OP's requirement's.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0