Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious21 View Post
Awaiting Tony's response

ROTFL !!!

But for your comment and having to laugh, I wasn't going to because I'm not personally keen on chronographs and I know the Daytona is an excellent one to go with.

The others I'd suggest he consider are these:

JLC Master Extreme Collection: (pick whatever strap/bracelet that JLC makes and that you like)

The watches pictured are these, but there are more to be found on JLC's site and plenty of NOS models on various GMS sites such as this one: http://www.luxurybazaar.com/subcateg...spx?c=361&as=2.
  • Master Compressor Diving Chronograph
  • jlc Master Compressor Chronograph 2
  • Deep Sea Vintage Chronograph - FWIW, of these three, this is the one I prefer. It just looks smart and not so darn fussy as the other two.

I don't see any objective reason to prefer one over the other. Odds are, however, that based on the OP, I'd suggest a Daytona instead of any of them. I think the Zenith El Primero (but not with the tri-colored subdials) is also a good choice.

For myself, and remember I have lots of watches and don't give a damn what other folks think about me or my watches so long as they are high quality and I like the look of them, were I wanting something that passed as a sport/dress, chrono watch in the OP's price range, I'd be looking at either Montblanc or Cartier. Specifically the models shown below. YOu can find reviews of them here:

A large part of why I suggested those models is due to my absolute abhorrence of the triple sub-dial style of chrono. I just don't like the look. It has nothing to do with usability or anything logical. Outside of that, I think that as MB and Cartier have just entered the in-house space, they are good values at the moment because they don't command the price (brand markup, really) that some equivalent products do. Of the two, I'd pick the MB. I've always felt good about Minerva movements and since MB now owns Minerva, that makes it an in-house watch (not that that is worth 20¢ IMO in the overall scheme of watches at this price point, but it's nice that it is).

I would pick the MB despite what I know some folks will say: "If I wanted a pen, I'd buy MB, but not a watch." IMO, folks that say stuff like that don't have the first clue about the tranferability of discrete manufacturing know-how from one precision product to another. I guess it's just as well they don't for that keeps the demand low the prices low and the discounting opportunity higher. That works just fine for me.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 03-22-2014 at 02:46 AM..
Appreciate 0