View Single Post
      04-08-2021, 03:57 PM   #639
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I've been investing since the late 1990s when I entered the work force. At first, my investment funding started as a trickle as my salary was something like $29K and I couldn't afford to put much away. I've learned a lot over the years and have lost large amounts during all the market drops between 1998 and now. With those market drops came HUGE market increases where I gained it all back plus way more.

I had a financial advisor from 2003-2013. I kept putting as much in as I could as my salary grew and grew over the years. My salary increased substantially in 2012. I also fired my adviser in 2012, moved over the Vanguard so I could do things myself, and I changed my investment strategy. I generally followed Warren Buffett's 2-minute retirement plan and went with mostly all S&P 500 index funds in my brokerage, his and her Roth IRAs, IRA (from an old 401K), and my current current employer 401K. I also have a fair amount of Berkshire Class B, about 10% in bond funds, and a few "fun" stocks where I've rolled the dice. My most lucrative stock being being Activision Blizzard recommended by my teenage son. I bought about $20K of it and it's now worth $54K in two years.

The market has been very good to me in the past 9 years or so and I've stuck to my investment strategy and goals. My goal was to retire in 5 years at the age of 52. I'm currently $150K from that goal I had originally set. I think retiring at 47 would be a bit stupid, but I am considering going part-time (30 hours/wk, 20% pay and benefit cut).
XKxRome0ox1587.50
2000cs3496.50