04-04-2021, 11:15 PM   #26
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
At the moment the weather doesn't look good for Saturday, but it's far too early to make that call for sure. I do know that the CCA HQ grass field is a nightmare in the wet as the 50th O'fest 2019 final night event it rained, and I was fortunate that I live 20min away and I had brought the E91 that night with all-season (PSAS3+) tires on it. It was still a harrowing ordeal to get out of the muck without being towed...really glad I made the decision to drive the beater that night (the huge grass field slopes down to a lake).

One drive I really enjoy locally is highway 276 up to Cesar's Head from the Greenville side (from highway 11). It goes from 1165ft elevation at highway 11 to 3159ft at Cesars Head State Park at the top over ~5-6 miles of road. It has short sections of two upbound lanes to allow you to get around slow traffic in many areas, and the very tight uphill switchbacks are a blast. I just drove it Friday in fact (about 25 min from here in north Greenville county).

None of the mountain drives are much fun on crowded weekend days, especially now when everyone seems to be getting out.

I hope the weather holds and Saturday turns out nice. It would great to meet up with everyone.
I hope the weather holds as well!!

Thanks for the advice on the drive CSBM5, I've taken 276 on that route (then went up through the Pisgah Forest and on to Waynesville on the way back from PCD back in 2015. I drove some of it last August, again after PCD. It was a fun drive both times.

I was hoping the Blue Ridge Parkway would be open, but it looks like it's still mostly closed (at least it was the other day when I looked...)