07-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
The 6-speed Aisin used in 18i emits 124g instead of 119g of the manual one!
Probably a 7 speed gearbox would also result in a less consumption especially at high speeds.
However the 6-speed Aisin that my 18i has is nice, with fast and smooth gear changes. I am totally satisfied by it! I also hope that it will prove as reliable as other Japanese auto products I have owned (I have at least a Toyota in the family for the last 20 years. My wife is now driving a Yaris Hybrid).
Actually, being totally satisfied (let alone a couple of ergonomic mistakes) with the X1 until now, I just hope to be at least 80% as reliable as my Toyotas have been!
DCTs got their bad rap because they kept breaking down in high powered Audis and VWs and expensive supercars. They're not as fragile these days when combined with smaller engines.

RE emissions and economy, I only had a quick look at BMW.de configurator and numbers for manual and automatic 18i were the same. Switching to DCT helps BMW lower it's overall emission numbers as a manufacturer to comply with EU or local regulations. Sort of like how Aston Martin made that stupid mini-car based on Toyota iQ. Cygnet or something.
Appreciate 1
iceman7117.00