View Single Post
      07-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
tomperson
Uruguay
Rep
Drives: C4

Lightbulb sDrive 18i opinions? Worth it? 1.5 three cilinder engine opinions?

Hi everybody! I'm new to the forum, so hi to everybody!

I'm doing some research for my next car. We are a small family (2 adults, one 4 year old girl, and an 8 month baby girl). We currently have a Citroen C4 1.6 VTi - 120 hp, 160Nm torque @ 4200 RPM, 0 to 100km/h in 10.8s - not a particularly fast car by any means.

Our car has served us well for more than 4 years...nothing major to complain, but we'd like to move up to an SUV, mostly for practicality with the kids.

Most of our driving (like...90%) is city driving, carrying my girl from home to school and back, going to friend's houses, visiting the supermarket or the shopping mall, that sort of thing. A few times a year we adventure out the city for weekend getaways, a few hundred km away. Usually on highway or half decent paved roads.

We've been contemplating different alternatives, and the X1 is certainly high on my list, since i've always wanted a german car. I could get a manual transmission X1 with a few optionals like sunroof and harman kardon audio, and it would fall squarely within our budget. Thing is, they don't have it in stock locally, so i cannot test drive this particular version of the car.

I know to many people (particularly brand purists) it makes no sense to buy an entry level premium car.

I wonder though, given my car needs, and the vehicle i'm coming from (which is certainly not spectacular in any particular regard)...would it make sense to make this move? Would i be missing too much of the "BMW experience" from going with a smallish engine X1 with manual transmission instead of automatic?

I would like to hear opinions of people who has actually driven the sDrive 18i - please avoid posting preconceived "opinions". I'd like to know from the real world.

How does the small engine perform in the city? What about highway overtaking with the car fully loaded when going at, lets say 90-100 km/h?

Thanks to all...and thanks for reading this long post!

Appreciate 0