09-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #27
bimmerdriver2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueX2 View Post
I've had my oil changed by a local BMW mechanic and was surprised to see a new model car come in so early. Now as per my free scheduled maintenance intervals with BMW they wanted me to come in at 10,000 KM for service on the new car. Now call me old school, but I decided I wanted to know more about my car and not take that chance with such a late maintenance window for my oil and swapped out the oil at 5000 km. I also took a sample and sent it off to Blackstone Labs to see what is actually going on with the engine and I'll go with their recommendation on intervals and to see if there are any odd metal shavings or contaminants that I should be aware of. Listed below is what they said for the comments on the car.

"Congrats on the new BMW! Wear metals tested a bit high in this sample, but that's to be expected for the first sample out of a new engine. The metals come from wear-in and the silicon is from sealers. Look for lot of improvement as this material washes out of the engine over the next few oil changes. The viscosity tested in the 5W/20 range, and no fuel dilution, water, or coolant was present. The TBN read 2.8, showing a bit of active additive left (a reading of 1.0 or less is low). Our averages are based on 9,200 km. Try up to 7,000 km for next time."

The image below are the full details from the oil sample I sent in. If anyone wants to tell me something about this more so than what Blackstone Labs told me I'm all ears.

I get oil for my M3 tested by blackstone and I will for my X2 when I change it (which will be soon). I'm not clear how many kms were on your X2 when you picked it up. It may be that the the oil has high wear metals because of break-in, but some of them seem pretty high. Here is a link from Blackstone for interpreting the results. The one value that jumps out at me is the copper. Normally, copper is an internal layer within bearings. On E46 M3 engines (S54), copper without lead means the rod bearings are badly worn. The top layer is lead / tin. Not saying that's the same on the B46 engine, but it's odd. Blackstone does say that copper can come from oil coolers. Maybe that's the case. For you, I would recommend a short oil change interval and another test. This will give you a chance to see if the wear metals drop due to flushing out metal from break-in.
Appreciate 1
BlueX230.00