06-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #769
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
i have wood sidings and about 10+ years ago did a light sand and applied new primer and paint. some paint is flaking on parts of the house and i think its time to do the process again.

doing research on vinyl siding, it says if your wood is in good condition (no rot) you can install the vinyl siding on top of the wood.

i do prefer the wood though, would it be possible to apply wood sidings on top of the existing wood or would the original wood have to be removed and new one installed?
Depending on level of flaking I would scrape, prime and repaint.

If there is nothing wrong with the wood siding I wouldn't remove it to put vinyl siding up. Unlikely that the wood siding is in good shape but the wood under it is rotted.

I live in a neighborhood that is roughly 110 years old. None of the houses that had vinyl siding removed the wood. Too big of a job compared to the benefit. One reason I think many should have considered it is because of lack of any insulation in the walls and old knob and tube wiring. Both could have been updated with the existing siding removed.