View Single Post
      03-15-2021, 08:04 PM   #33
odiford
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Thanks, guys. Seems like Cura is a good way to go wrt slicer and they have a Windows flavor.

I have sketch-Up currently but will give the hobbyist version of Fusion 360 a go.

Still waiting for my shipping notice.

@detroitm2, thanks for the tip on voltage. I wouldn't have thought of that coming out of the box.

odiford , what sort of mods would you suggest?
I started with an aluminum drive feed assembly (stock plastic flexes too much), a low tolerance bowden tube, and stiffer bed springs. All of this is <$50.

Later on I added a direct-drive conversion because I started printing super soft TPU and some iron-composites that were getting clogged in the bowden. This requires some adjustments in Cura to work properly but is very much worth it for materials other than ABS or PLA.

There are also a few mods you can 3D print which is pretty ironic, but most are convenience oriented like wire clips and such.

Editing to add that this is much like car build conversations where the best thing you can improve is the nut behind the wheel. Until you really get the hang of bed leveling and fine tuning slicer settings, you won't notice much difference from the new parts.
Appreciate 1
bosstones1154.00