02-06-2021, 05:51 AM   #59
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs2229 View Post
I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that, if your smartphone is close to the HU, then it is not necessary to plug in an antenna because there is still sufficient signal through the WLAN socket. Close would be a dash mount or cup-holder mount.

Also, there is a method to confirm if the HU has a WLAN socket by looking up the VIN.

Can anyone confirm either or both? It would easier not to have to pull out the HU.
Correct, however it can then cause problems with certain apps which have high data volume, the poorer signal results in lower connection speed which can then cause apps to hang etc. If anyone is retrofitting Carplay, for the small cost of fakra antenna, it is better option to install it.

If you look at bmw technical info (forum thread) you can see that s650 and s654 options (dab tuner) HU appear to have Preparation of WLAN antenna as standard (but not certain). Anyone with wifi hotspot in build code will obviously have as well (as the actual antenna). Unfortunately I am not sure what VIN info will identify you DO NOT have a HU with wlan preparation.
Hopefully someone will.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-06-2021 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
wcs2229170.50