07-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #28
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 View Post
Roxxor,

Thank you for the clarification and offer to help. I'm going through the same exercise by cross referencing what people have posted with what I need. Your post has helped tremendously.

BTW, were you able to connect all the components and test out before installing permanently? I was wondering if it is possible to test out and make sure everything is working before starting all the cabling and mounting work?
You would have to code the car and make the connections for everything in order to test it out, which you could do before running all the wiring. You would just still need to connect everything first, then unhook it to run the wiring and all. With the PDC, you could connect the wiring and make sure it all works before you drilled the holes in the bumper.

There are 2 issues I can think of that might present an obstacle with testing before running the wiring. First, since you have to code everything in order to test it, once you test it and unhook everything to run it, if you have to start the car again before reconnecting everything, you would possibly get an error message since the car will think something is wrong with the PDC/Camera. Second, for making the connections with the small pins, it would be challenging to remove those from the connectors without risking damaging the connector or the pin once they have been installed. This would be for all 12 of the PDC sensor wires(2 ground, 2 power, 8 sensors) to the REM, the camera power wire to the rear fuse box, and the camera harness wires to the back of the iDrive headunit. It would be necessary to remove them, especially for the PDC wires, since the other end of the harnesses have the socket connectors that attach to the sensors, and it would be near impossible to route that end of the harnesses through to the outside of the car without major difficulties.

Personally, I went in guns blazing and figured out the coding/making it all work once everything was done, but that's just me
Appreciate 0