04-15-2019, 03:03 AM   #138
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
I'm a blank when it comes to programming, but is it something you have to select in Vehicle Settings on the iDrive screen? I'm sure that's what Ido on my X1 and I don't have Bimmercode etc., so I readily stand to be corrected.
You are 50% correct because “coding” is not actually “programming” it is selecting hidden ecu options. Some Ecu options are available through the idrive menu , examples include door locking.

Many more / most Ecu settings (and therefore) options are not available through the iDrive but can be accessed using tools such as an obd2 reader and software app (like Bimmercode or Carly).

These “hidden” or “coding” options fall into many categories,

- some for example are expensive options which have to be paid for at time of order (such as comfort access), “high beam assist” or lane departure warning but can be enabled through “coding” [note hardware may also be required],

- some are national/ market variations either enabled or disabled due to regulations, as an example boot/trunk closure using key fob, safety warning every time car is started, or stop/start mode which can be set to remember last setting selected by driver (An option I have enabled),

-some are functionality which can be selected or adjusted which BMW have chosen not to enable on the F48’s or place on the iDrive menu, examples include exact heated seat temperature by setting or distance you have to drive before reversing sensor image disappears from iDrive screen (I changed mine from default 50 metres to 10 metres)

- hardware installation, many Ecu settings vary by hardware and cannot be adjusted through the iDrive. I needed to “code” the settings when I self-installed the larger bmw oem 8.8” display screen and touch controller into my car and will do the same when I install a reversing camera and “High Beam assist”. Without coding I would have had to purchase the parts and have them fitted by BMW. For the 8.8” display screen, this would have cost be approx £2.500 rather than the £500 d.i.y cost.

Hope my explanation helps, the picture in wcs2229 post shows screen image of an app used for “coding”. The total cost for buying obd2 dongle and app in U.K is about £60. A more advanced form of coding exists using genuine BMW configuration software ( E-sys) where you can change your car’s factory build options (I retrofitted parts and changed by car from 6UNA “Nav” to 6UPA “Nav plus”. If you would like examples of people coding then there are many YouTube videos (many are poor but give an idea).

Final point is that some people get into trouble by making incorrect coding changes they do not understand or using tools incorrectly and corrupting the software, as an extreme example, needing a complete dealer software rebuild and possibly voiding their warranty!

Last edited by MJE60; 04-15-2019 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 5
iceman7117.00
oakey46158.50
rameer5.00