Thread: Lowering seats
View Single Post
      08-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
timt
Reader, Rare Poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Black (2015)

I was hoping that with all the after market seats out there, usually with their own rails (so they don't have to make custom versions for every car) that it would be possible to just get rails from one of those manufacturers and drill accordingly.

The issue you run into in this car as you get taller is that the seats need to be further back so my knees don't slam up on the steering wheel. That then means my arms are too extended to comfortably steer and shift. So as you get taller you also have to get the back of the seat more vertical to be in a good track-driving position. Vertical seating eats up headroom very quickly. I can tool around town leaned back a little, but that is not good for the track.

I may end up just calling one of the shops that installs custom seats to see if I could pay them to fab some rails to work with the existing seats. I don't really need to go 5-point harness and I like my current seats

Previous (all 6MT): Dinan 135i, E46 M3, 2007 Porsche GT3, 2012 Cayman R, 2003 Carrera 4S, 2001 Gemballa Boxster S, and some Audis.
Appreciate 0