04-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #21
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Wowie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
We always went for the weekend...so yes, we were there when Cevert was killed. An incredibly sad day experienced by everyone at the track. Teammate, Jackie Stewart, immediately withdrew and left.
From '65 to '77 it was a twice a year (minimum) visit...the USRRC, the CanAm, the TransAm, and the 6 hours of the Glen in the summer, the GP the first weekend in October.
I did attend the '67 Canadian GP at Mosport, the rest (17) at Montreal.

Here's Dan Gurney in the Brabham overtaking Lorenzo Bandini in the Ferrari...1965 the last year of the 1.5L formula.
Wowie!
Such a great pic; it must have been horrible to be present that weekend when Cevert was lost; my wife and i were at Laguna Seca for the Indy cars in 1999 when Gonzalo Rodriguez was killed in Saturday practice/qualy; we weren't at the track that day (only for the Sunday race) and were walking in Carmel downtown when we overheard someone say that Rodriguez was killed....it was very difficult to be there for Sunday morning warmup - as Michael Andretti came past us on a semi-long straight between turns 3-4 there were vapor trails coming off the edges of the rear wing (he was going FAST)....my wife would not get near the fence and stood WAY back.