02-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #9
Skyline2.0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion_squall View Post
Hi,

Question for those who actually uses BMW 5w30 longlife01. Are you guys in the US with a BMW X1 Petrol version (F48), there should only be Petrol version in N.A? If so, can you comment on any negative observation with the use of 5W-30 TwinTurbo LL-01? My problem is that in Canada, some dealer went to extra length (even after I showed them the manual and many other tech sources) to tell me that they recommends 0W20 LL14 FE+ and they stopped short on commenting whether 5W-30 TwinTurbo LL-01 can affect the warrantee.

How is your experience with 5W-30 TwinTurbo LL-01?

thanks
I've been running Liqui Moly SpecialTec 5W30 for 19,500 miles and counting now. According to Liqui Moly, this particular oil meets BMW's LL-01 spec. I have not personally had any oil related issues so far.

I was running BMW 0W20 LL-17 FE+ for ~3k miles for better flow during the colder winter months. I know the owner's manual states LL-14 FE+, but the dealer handed me the LL-17 instead. I was annoyed as I didn't realize the difference until I got home, but saw LL-17 FE+ is compatible with the B46 engine, per newtis.info, and the Parts Dept said this is the oil used to service their X1s, so I decided to go with it.

I just swapped back to Liqui Moly 5W30 yesterday. When running 5W30, I do notice a slight drop in average MPG (~0.4 - 0.7 mpg) if the OBC is taken as accurate. The engine also seems to run ever so slightly quieter on 5W30, but that could just be all in my head. In the end, I opt to run the LL-01 spec 5W30 oil for the improved engine protection claims.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pTron View Post
I use LM 5w30. The trick is to let it warm up for at least ~10 minutes.

I initially had the BMW OEM oil (0w30) and I saw no change in MPG. However, I will echo that the engine seems a tad quieter.

I have stayed away from BMW OEM oil and their intervals (I do it every 5K miles).

GL!
Forgot to mention - I also go by 5k OCI like pTron instead of the longer interval of 10k miles per BMW dealers.

Last edited by Skyline2.0; 02-18-2020 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 0