View Single Post
      09-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #15
jcatral14
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral Grey X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
Most folks will tell you the only one who makes money consistently on an extended warranty is the person who sells it. I struggle with the piece of mind factor, which should not be ignored. I leased this one (usually buy and hold) and I still sprung 500 for the extended maintenance in case I needed brakes. I will come close to recovering the cost through windshield wipers (who knew genuine BMW wipers could be so expensive) and if I need brakes I win. However the piece of mind of knowing I don't need to worry about that is important to me. As a finance guy by training I would suggest you start self insuring by putting away in a savings account the cost of the extended warranty divided by 36 (or 48) and hang on to that in the event of a repair you have the money and if you get rid of the car you have the money for your next car. Not unlike the concept of a HSA for medical once you have saved a year's deductible yo are basically covered going forward

Good luck and enjoy the car they are a hoot
Spoke to my SA earlier and was quoted $800 but she did say I can wait till I need it and can always upgrade as long as the car is under the factory warranty so I'll hold off for now

-jay

Appreciate 0