09-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
Davy Jordi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 M35i

Longterm Ownership Question Re: Reliability and Extended Warranty

hello chaps,

so, how many of you are keeping your m35is beyond the factory warranty period of 4yrs/50k miles?

i financed my car because i usually keep my cars for about five or six years. i come from the world of lexus, so reliability and dependability have never really entered my mind because they've never been problematic. toyota/lexus truly does build indestructible vehicles.

anyhow, bmw is another story and i'm wondering how many of you are keeping your m35is and of those, how many of you are going to purchase a bmw-backed extended warranty. i got a quote today for 6yrs/75k miles for $3700 and 6yrs/100k miles for $4150. i have no perspective as to whether those are good quotes or total ripoffs because i don't have a whole lot of experience purchasing extended warranties. i'm still awaiting quotes from two additional dealers.

thoughts?

i will say, though, that of the three previous cars i've owned (yes, i'm relatively young at 35), i've only kept one for six years. the other two were ideally to be kept for six years but i became bored of them and got rid of them after three years and two years respectively.

everyone tells me that i should be leasing, but i feel like with leasing i can't do what i want to the car. i have to keep it pretttttty stock because it has to be returned stock for sure, so...