View Single Post
      10-27-2020, 07:39 AM   #72
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
the 1 really cool plus one more ordinary car versus one do it all type higher end vehicle is a common debate (in fact I think I started a thread on it a while back), but in the end alfisiti has decided he wants a convertible special drive car in addition to a daily...I think it's the better route

even if the daily is a pretty good drive, driving it everyday will make it normalize pretty fast...much better to have that really special car that you only drive occassionally and can really take care of

I think that feeds the passion much better...
It is a valid discussion. The wife drives the family SUV and I do only 6000 miles per year so I am a prime candidate for one car that is a bit selfish. I would save in the region of $3K year on insurance and running costs by not running a 3rd car.

Then it comes down to which one give I am absolutely non negotiable on 2+2 (or 4 seats), convertible, sporty not GT in nature and naturally aspirated with a bit of attitude. This leaves me with the following;

Camaro
M3 with the V8 (E92?)
Mustang GT

Camaro I do not like the look of despite growing up in a Holden family (this is religous at home in OZ).

M3 reliability worries me, hard top is super heavy and therefore loses some of the sporty nature, plus BMW convertibles always look wrong at the arse end for some reason.

Mustang makes the right noises and I could mod to my taste with say a GT350 front end for eg. In winter they may be interesting even with snow tyres on but i think i'd manage. Issue is they are everywhere, not a bit special and not really chuckable like a dedicated sports car but I am not writing them off given the money involved and the nature of the roads here where corners do not exist.

911 makes ones pants all soggy but no way I can DD one (single garage you see) despite my low miles. So I am weighing up purchase price and the extra $2500 to $3K yr to run a 3rd car.
Appreciate 0