11-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #239
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigP View Post
Yes, still a problem. I also used Bimmercode to dismantle start/stop and engage Sport mode when starting up. Nice features and worth it, but as others have said it does nothing to mitigate this issue. The "doublesport" mode is indeed too crazy for running errands and paddle driving is cumbersome and awkward at times around town with the extra wheel turning required. As I've written before, I think the 8-speed tranny is too "smart" and tuned to either save fuel or minimize jarring gear jumps at low speeds (the kind you feel when in "doublesport"). As such, it reads certain situations (like a rolling turn) incorrectly and puts you into 3rd gear (or even 4th possibly) when you really wanted (and expected) to be in 2nd or even 1st, based on how slow you're actually going. If there was a setting that allowed you to see which gear you are in when not in the "left" sport setting, it would be easy to track this behavior. I've tried testing this theory a little by downshifting with the paddles right when I think I should be in a lower gear and the experience does seem to show that I'm in a higher gear than I thought. But, the way the system works you can't be fully certain of where you were, just where you are (gear-wise). I still love the car but I would be hard-pressed to buy it again knowing this issue was still present. Honestly, I'd take an old-school 4-speed manual over this 8-speed wonderbox any day...
I can understand your frustration and pain. In fact, without going into any details you are seeing exactly the same problem that is prevalent on the majority of turbocharged 4 cylinder performance engines. This behavior is synonymous with the Audi Q5 2.0 litre TFSI (256 bhp) that I recently sold on. It is all down to turbo lag IF the start-stop system is disabled. It matters little what gearbox the car has. If you want an improvement, you have to keep the engine spinning faster all the time to negate turbo lag or go to a 6 cylinder engine.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0