01-24-2024, 12:44 PM   #43
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I do agree though that at the very least given this particular situation, with a $75,000 cashier’s check, they should have verified the genuineness of the routing number.
I actually thought that was standard, but yeah, I can see it can vary depending on the bank, teller, how busy they are, if they are itching to go to lunch, etc.

I sold a car once long ago, the buyer brought a cashiers check and we went to the bank together with it. We sat off to the side for 5-10 minutes while someone actually called up the other persons bank to make sure the check was real / funds were available. I guess I don't know the details but they did do some work on it. Good reminder to be sure this happens if I ever repeat a sale that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yes, meeting at the bank and watching the teller draw up the check is fool proof.
So, since you were in the industry and know things, can the buyer empty the account and / or close it before you get a chance to go deposit that check?

For $75k I might actually create an account at the buyers bank for myself, and have it go direct while we are both in the bank itself. I suppose there's a reason not to do that but for so much money I think I'd be a little extra careful as well.
Appreciate 0