View Single Post
      11-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #32
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I'm back in school so budget is priority #1 more than ever; however I never got the exhaust note that I wanted out of the X1 (even after a high flow catted downpipe, a resonator delete, a secondary cat delete, and permanently keeping the right exhaust flap open). An aftermarket exhaust would be out of the question and the area that I'm in (based on two shops) wanted more for a full muffler delete that was I was quoted previously in Boston. So how could I get something louder, but still cheaper? The idea of a bypass valve made sense, but I'd need to take it two places... and I just wanted something quick and easy. I just got this done this morning and will update later with sound clips from inside the cabin (pre and post) as well cold starts (pre and post).

Edit: this is a poor man’s bypass. A pipe was wyed in before the muffler to route the majority of exhaust flow out the left. The old left side exit out of the muffler was welded closed. There is still some flow to the right of the wye/the muffler (how much not sure).

I’m happy with the lower and deeper exhaust sound. I’m not running my ECU tune, but even in sport mode there aren’t too many pops to sound overly annoying. I didn’t notice any difference on the highway except when I pushed on the accelerator, then I could definitely hear the exhaust.
Attached Images

Last edited by ventjock; 11-07-2020 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0