12-05-2023, 02:13 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I didn't vote because it's two different questions. Depending on your definition of buying a car over the internet, I guess you could say I already have many times. I didn't pay electronically like I would Amazon. I don't think any dealer is ready for that yet considering all the signatures that are required to obtain a car, especially when it's out of state.

I think the closest I came to a true internet purchase of a car was with Champion Porsche in Florida. I did the deposit online, then they overnighted paperwork to me with return envelope. Once ratified, they coordinated delivery of car to me.

I bought a van from Georgia, which included my trade. They drove the van up, we signed paperwork, and he drove my trade back. It was almost surreal.

I bought another Porsche from PA and same situation except they rode the Amtrak back since I wasn't trading anything.

I almost bought a car in Wisconsin that way but they had to send a notary to witness signatures and verify my identity. Which is all well and good until they had trouble getting everything arranged. After almost three weeks of trying to get it done, and several hours taken off of work, I pulled the plug and got my money back.

So I guess what I'm saying is different dealers/states have different requirements that kind of prevent you from having a true internet transaction.
Tesla is pretty much 100% online. I don't believe you even need to interact with anyone when you go pick it up as you automatically get access through your phone. I did talk to the person because I wasn't sure what to do, but they basically just said use the app and it's parked outside.

Everything else was done 100% online including the financing which I did through my own bank. I don't recall but I'm assuming it was all docusign or the like if there was any paperwork.

So it CAN be done... at least in FL and anywhere Tesla sells... the industry just chooses not to do it.
Appreciate 2
Donatello.1105.50
c1pher4693.50