02-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #21
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
For most of us in Greece ordering a BMW navi system would increase ridiculously the price of the X1 due to the absurd Greek tax system. The initial solution of the local BMW affiliate was to retrofit a BMW integrated navi (aftermarket but BMW endorsed) for 690 euros and free map upgrades for 2 years. This retrofit used he existing 6,5 screen.
However this solution is incompatible with after July 2017 F48 that have the NBT EVO system.

Therefore we have been looking for an affordable 3rd party solution and found many Chinese manufactured ones in various sites (including Ali-express).
Most of Greek users have bought from a Spanish retailer at around 500 euros (https://exclusivecarauto.com/advance...f0e5d2&x=0&y=0) that has proven fine.

Greek shops were also selling the same units but at 800-1000 euros!!
Installation was done by some our club members so the whole upgrade (including rear camera) was cheap.
As time passes more and more units have flooded Aliexpress and ebay lowering the prices to almost 300 euros. One of our members has just bough one of these cheaper ones.
All in all the android screen upgrade is worth the money even if you already own a BMW navi pack, since you benefit from the larger screen that enhances the looks of the car, an android tablet and touch screen as well as alternative navi software with live traffic and frequent map updates.
Personally I paid 480 euros for one of the first android 4.4.4. units but I can use google maps, waze, sygic as well as other software on a big hefty 10,25 screen and got a rear camera too!
Good deal considering the price of the BMW original navi systems let alone the heavy Greek taxation.
Thank you for this
The screen in your car looks great. If your Greek X1 owners club decided to post some information, or even better video, on actually fitting (including how to run (thread wires) rear camera cable from tailgate all the way to the head unit) it would be very valuable/interesting. I am thinking of installing after-market back-up camera into my (NBT evo) but am worried it is too big a job! I managed to upgrade my screen (just bmw 8.8 not android 10.25) but removing panels and trim for very first time made me very anxious I would break things.
Thank you again and best wishes
Appreciate 1
SHKM815.50