Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

F48 6.5” to 8.8” CID retrofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankM8 View Post
Hey,

I've seen videos like this where people have swapped the smaller iDrive screen with a larger one.

Was planning on following this guide to swap to the larger 8.8 widescreen:
f46.blogspot.com/2016/10/how-to-upgrade-your-65-inch-screen-to.html

(The 10.1 inch from the X5 needs the dash to be cut up, but the X1 was designed for the 8.8 inch)

Has anyone done this with their X1?
Hi
I switched my 6.5” touch display for a genuine bmw oem 8.8” version last week and am absolutely delighted. I have given some details on the x1 bimmercode adventure thread. Basically got correct model 8.8” display (8797400) for my build year off fleabay. Fitted, worked out the 4 coding changes needed for f48 with NBT (full details given in my jan 31 2.23 pm post in x1 bimmercode adventure thread) and made using bimmercode and Vgate pro box. New screen works like a dream, basically I now have Nav plus functionality (excluding hud and touch controller) on the CID. It has lifted the car, the functionality is much better with significant additional info and graphics displayed. I had made few other code changes so I also have tyre temp as well as pressures showing for rdc. I can see attraction of going for a retrofit 10” android display but my car is only 14 months old and in warranty so I didn’t want hassle with non BMW parts or additional cost, my outlay for screen, Vgate and bimmercode was under £450. Having said that I will probably go for reversing camera retrofit next and possibly upgrade the idrive controller to correct touch version. A man has to have a hobby and it keeps me out of mischief!
History _ I bought a stock xdrive x line 2.0d from U.K. dealer in Dec 2017 which didn’t have the Nav plus, reversing camera and HK audio I really wanted but came at biggish discount and additional £2k bmw partex allowance. I have now fitted HK door speakers and tweeters (including HK door surrounds), 8.8” display and it has really lifted the feel . The audio upgrade transformed the sound quality (again fleabay parts except door surrounds which are extortionately priced). The larger screen lifts the quality feel of the car and I would recommend. Interesting point when I asked my dealer to do the retrofit, they tried to tell me a new head unit was required ( I knew this was not the case as bmw literature says nav and Nav plus have same unit), then they said that I had to have a touch controller fitted as well as screen (uk dealer price for screen and touch controller approx £2,500 plus Labour!). Again I was dubious as the 6.5” touch screen had a non touch controller. The reality is a 8.8” touch screen works just as happily as 6.5” screen on existing head unit and without touch controller. Trickiest part was finding all coding changes needed for f48 with NBT as most posts/videos are for NBT f30’s . Anyhow, basically 4 coding changes in 3 locations needed - so go for it if any advice needed on fitting just ask

As at Dec 2020, it is now possible to buy the door surrounds (excl speakers) from a well known Chinese online market place, several forum members have commented that they are happy with the quality.

Last edited by MJE60; 12-12-2020 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 4