02-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #5
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
When I registered my M4, since I brought it from out of country (out of state will be the same), I had to get an initial smog check done on it. From that point on, you get a 5 year waiver on smog checks, you just have to pay a smog abatement fee each year.

Now, that original smog check was interesting, and it looks like it is the way all smog checks in California will be done. No tailpipe sniffer, they just plug into the OBDII port and read various settings, check for codes, and see what the ECU has to tell them about smog.

But it's more than just checking for OBDII codes, the modern ECUs actually are able to report on various smog related readings, more intricate/complex than just codes.

Bottom line: you will definitely fail with catless downpipes, you will probably fail with the catless midpipes (maybe, maybe not), but once you fail once, you will likely get flagged in the system.

So, what I would do is put the entire stock system back on, and then after you get your smog certificate, happily mode away, for at least the next five years.
fark!! but thanks for the info..
Appreciate 0