01-10-2023, 11:26 AM   #61
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
so just to close the loop. did my thing in the US and I have to say Americans are very polite and respectful, complete opposite to what the world made me believe.

NYC - JFK was slow, extremely shortstaffed but that meant zero customs. 99% of people were waved thru. taxi was dodgy, almost got scammed. taxi ride was worse, roads were worse than Asia. Manhattan was great for tourists like us. even the subways! now all the movies make sense. even Madagascar. and Home Alone.
highlight was Lion King on Broadway.

train from Moynihan Penn to Union DC, no complaints

DC - complete opposite of NYC. everything vast and spread out. police ++. felt super safe. did Museums and Monuments that sort of stuff.

Jetblue to Boston - those Embraer 190 seats were huuuuge. got emailed every time bags moved. TSA wasn't too bad.

Boston - Lobsters everywhere, don't eat at tourist markets. unfortunately we were right in the tourist area, there was a market or two in every direction. watched the Bruins, disappointed that the referee stopped every fight before they got going.

again Jet Blue/TSA no issues, to Buffalo

hired a 2022 Expedition with 4000miles, took about 1 hr to learn how to drive on the right side of the road then the brain got it after 1 day. Wegmans for sushi, stayed at Niagara Ontario. loved the truck, made X7s look like a kid's toy. weird 10 speed transmission. exhaust tuned to sound like a V8 racer for some reason. drove to Michigan. interstates are great, no such roads where i'm from. beat the "storm of a generation". stayed at a farm, shopped at Amish stores, got snowed in. understood EVs wasn't gonna fly. trucks started to make sense. what's up with Buffalo wings - you guys like to feel pain!

drove a Tahoe to Chicago. another American truck. you guys know how to manufacture stuff that are fit for purpose. Chicago felt like Gotham city. underpasses, subways didn't feel safe. the stuff above ground level was otherwise pretty unique.

within a blink of an eye memories were made, money vanished, and back to the grind ... bought a M550i over the phone while i was overseas, waiting for it to arrive

oh and remember never to pay list price for premium economy. thought i'd hang out with the kids for 17 hrs, no more comfortable than economy. will stick to business class where possible for the flat bed ...
Great itinerary, thanks for updating the thread. Good choice on the combination of flying + driving.
Appreciate 0