Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
Because this is based on a transverse/FWD platform (think Audi/haldex) layout, it uses an Aisin transmission, not the ZF8 you're accustom to seeing. This lever will likely be limited to Aisin-equipped cars. And yea- it's ugly.
I guess it depends on what you're used to. As a stick driver I think the automatic transmission's electronic "flappy paddle" is not particularly inspiring either.

Also, the flappy paddle gets pushed forward to put the car in reverse, and gets pushed rearward to put the car in forward drive mode. I'm still scratching my head over whoever in BMW engineering thought that was a good idea.

Not sure, but it looks like the new X1 gear shift lever works more like a conventional automatic.
I am a MT guy, but where there's a slush box, I find less to be more. This thing is too big. Once you get the hang of the ZF8, you'll wonder what the point of a gated automatic is to begin with.

And yes- the Aisin is 'conventional' in that it's similar to most every Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Audi and U.S. Domestic on the road (transverse/fwd). Way more efficient packaging, worse balance/dynamics.
Appreciate 0