Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeOne View Post
Okay Dinan,
Got around to putting the newly released Exhaust for the X1/X2 yesterday.
Cliff Notes:
- Incredibly well packaged! The box arrived in a somewhat questionable condition. (from shipping I'm sure) But EVERYTHING was extremely protected by form fitted foam.
- Build Quality: TOP NOTCH (except for one piece I'll mention later)
- Sound: Just right. A little drone if you're at low speed in a high gear. Specifically 1,300-1,400rpm's, but everywhere else is great. In fact, the higher you go, the more glorious it sounds!

Okay, the not so good…
Instructions, gonna unfortunately have to give an "F". For one, there were none. Atypical from Dinan as they always had a paper copy included when I bought their piggyback and their intake. Okay, no big deal. We'll just go to their website and download instructions. After finding the model number of the exhaust and specifying X-Drive, we noticed something VERY off from their cutting measurements. I mean VERY off. Before taking the blade to the exhaust we just kept re-reading and re-reading. Eventually, we noticed that even though we clicked the link for X-Drive, the link actually re-directed us to the S-Drive PDF. We thought, oh, maybe they accidentally flip flopped the PDF instructions, so we went to the S-Drive instructions. But nope, S-Drive instructions were S-Drive, and the X-Drive link took us to S-Drive.
I ended up calling Dinan, but unfortunately they don't have technical people or engineers working on Saturday. Only sales and returns people were manning the phones. So we had to use a specific exhaust mounting point that both the OEM had, and the new Dinan pipe had, and work are way backwards to ESTIMATE a cutting point.
Short story, it worked, but it took measuring, and measuring, and measuring to make sure we would cut correctly.

Last part: There is a bracket that attaches which is for mounting the actuator flap. After spending more time than we should have, we noticed that the bracket did NOT have the necessary bend that it was suppose to an order to line up with the screw holes. It appears that from your CAD drawing, and Parts photos, it should have had an approximate 30 degree bend so the holes could line up. Mine was completely straight. This left almost a 1" gap.
(see photos attached)
So at this point, we had to figure an on-the-spot solutions, as the stock exhaust was already cut. We ended up using a vice, and in multiple steps, used a vice to bend the bracket in, eventually to where the two screw holes would line up and be flush.

Please don't take this as a bash to the product. It seems like everything else they nailed. I just want Dinan to take this as an opportunity to make these two simple corrections. UPDATE your website with correct links, and double check/or revise that bracket. (and no, i don't believe this was damaged from shipping as i would have noticed a "previous crease" where there should have been.

As always, i've recorded everything from unboxing, instal (issues we ran into) and driving review. Video will be coming in the next several days.
Oi, sorry you had a less than ideal experience. Suprised this was only caught now with a number of systems sold prior but alas...

Website links have been "fixed" (D660-0089 was the only SKU linking wrong) but the xDrive instructions still need to be updated as the initial step one cut point is for the sDrive and not xDrive. I could make an educated guess based on Figure 7 of the instructions on where the cut point mark actually is for xDrive cars (appears to be at the factory cut point/dimple) but I will defer to engineering to actually tell me the real number when they come in this morning. Once they update the instructions with the correct measurement for that step I will get the website instructions fully updated.

The bracket is odd but not unheard of. The non-kinked bracket has made an appearance 3-4 times across different exhausts over the last 2 years. No idea how they are getting into the mix though -- they are flagged for 100% inspection when they come in and everytime we check our raw bin when this comes up they are always correct in there as well. Seem to appear randomly. Infuriating on both ends I can assure you.

Regardless, glad you are at least enjoying the exhaust.

UPDATE: See below for a sweet MS paint diagram but essentially the 2 3/4" measurement is correct but it would be from the rear most cut dimple on the xDrive variant.

Will update the instructions on the website once I get the revised version from engineering.

Name:  ALL4 Cut Point.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  138.9 KB

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 08-08-2022 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
TakeOne353.50