View Single Post
      06-26-2022, 04:45 PM   #1
Jonny2400
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 530d X Drive M Sport

Ultimate steering wheel clean tip

Well I’ve finally cracked it.

I’ve had my G30 from new and while I have always taking good care of the steering wheel, but 2 years of gel hand sanitizer use had left my now 4 year old steering wheel, shiny and slippy but sticky, despite my weekly cleaning with autoglym leather cleaner and a microfibre.

Really noticed it, after driving my wife’s 6 weeks old BMW G20.

Firstly you need a set of these pads, these are key and brilliant https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used Zymol leather cleaner sprayed on the pad and a good scrub, the a wash off with a damp microfibre and then dry with a clean dry microfibre, then same again for a second time and left overnight to completely dry. [it will feel stick and tacky but just wait to next day]

Result is amazing, it’s completely matt and feels new, swapping between my g30 and wife’s 6 week old G20 steering wheel they feel basically the same again.

To be honest, it’s the pads that make the difference, prob get similar results with any good cleaner, a microfibre just doesn’t have enough bite to really pull the dirt out of the leather.

As I have been using the zymol for a few weeks now with a microfibre and while it was slightly better, it wasn’t anywhere as good as it feels now after adding in the pads.

I like the zymol as it has a mild conditioner included and saved me adding a separate one, as I was hesitant to add a leather conditioner to steering wheel.

While it’s only a small cleaning job, it makes such a difference as well, your steering wheel is something you touch the entire time your driving.

Last edited by Jonny2400; 06-26-2022 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 5
NGT25718.00
540iSUP704.00