09-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounderman View Post
Most folks will tell you the only one who makes money consistently on an extended warranty is the person who sells it. I struggle with the piece of mind factor, which should not be ignored. I leased this one (usually buy and hold) and I still sprung 500 for the extended maintenance in case I needed brakes. I will come close to recovering the cost through windshield wipers (who knew genuine BMW wipers could be so expensive) and if I need brakes I win. However the piece of mind of knowing I don't need to worry about that is important to me. As a finance guy by training I would suggest you start self insuring by putting away in a savings account the cost of the extended warranty divided by 36 (or 48) and hang on to that in the event of a repair you have the money and if you get rid of the car you have the money for your next car. Not unlike the concept of a HSA for medical once you have saved a year's deductible yo are basically covered going forward

Good luck and enjoy the car they are a hoot
I agree that piece of mind is a big deal. I like the fact that between an extended service and warranty plans I have a solid period of time without many out of pocket expenses for my vehicles. I suppose over the years I have come out ahead more times than not. For me it is worth it and I purchased both extended plans for the 3 vehicles we currently own.
Appreciate 0