12-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #65
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
"M" was the shortened version of Motorsport. BMW by virtue of their moving from "Motorsport" to simply "M" is admitting this is marketing and not a designation reserved for sport cars. The boss of the new named division is the "M-Brand" manager.

They could have stuck with "M-sport" for those SUVs that are "geared to a higher level of performance". Or what happened to those "M-Performance" models that BMW recently decided really were "real" M-cars all along?

BMW isn't alone in this brand inflation. Mercedes puts AMG on nearly anything from wheels on a 4-cylinder A-Class car to an entire beast of a sedan. And now we have Alpina trucks, for Dog's sake. Ford is probably more true to their names by reserving SVO and Cobra for only limited models.

If anyone does not interpret this as the dilution of the BMW Motorsport division with its distillation to "M" stuck on anything, then I submit they've not spent enough time around BMWs. They missed seeing the 3.0CSLs and the 320i Turbos race with four-feet of flame coming out of their exhausts at Road Atlanta. They probably don't know the derivation of the colors and circle segments in the original Motorsport badges.

They can do whatever they want with their bloated trucks, but it is a sacrilege to play on the Motorsport heritage in doing so. It's just ///Marketing.
But then there are videos like this: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1776427

Easy solution I think, they should start racing the M trucks, give them some legitimacy. And I say this with only half my tongue in my cheek.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0