Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by povdrive_from_youtube View Post
Hello,

I just had the pleasure to drive the Bmw x1 (F48) 20d xDrive Msport

1 - I would like to collect some honest thoughts you had or are having with your car, then upload them in the description section of my video so it can be helpful for futur potential buyers..

2 - Personally I like the car very much.. it is spacious enough for four grown-ups my size (I'm 192cm/6"2).. lots of head room.. seats were a little bit stiff (but then I guess you can opt for the classic standard leather seats).. Driving felt nice even though I am not a fun of diesel cars.. Can't say much more than that.. That's why I would like to collect some informations regarding : models, engines, things that break often, what's better, what's worth..

3 - So if you have any constructive comments / experience to share with me, I would be grateful for your devoted time,

Wish you all the best,
Kind Regards
Hi, I have found my F48 2.0D xDrive to be totally mechanically reliable (drive systems).

The two minor issues I have had (one repeated) is the rear seat folding release merchandise using switch in boot/trunk failed within a few weeks of ownership and then about 18 months later. Given the switch was only used about 10 times it was disappointing however I was told it was due to slight misalignment of rear seat fitting (my seats tilt also). Other issue is that centre armrest between front seats was always difficult to adjust and eventually failed (it slumped down against storage cubby underneath and would not lock in position). This needed a complete new armrest fitting which now works great.

Overall I think the F48/X1 is a great car however I would advise anyone buying the car, especially if previous BMW owners, to recognise that some of the safety and tech features are budget versions of systems found in higher range cars. Examples include fact that the x1 only has a single lens KAFAS camera/not stereoscopic, this means the intelligent safety system has weaknesses, for example a poor rating (bottom of class) in US IIHS safety tests, it also means that some owners have complained that features like automatic cruise control can get confused in certain weather conditions. Other examples include fact that Harman Kardon system is simpler version than say in X3, or that the xDrive system is very different than for all other models. In the X1 it is predominantly front wheel drive with temporary drive given to rear when needed , using simpler system than for other BMW cars who have rear wheel dominant systems.

I think if it were widely known how poor some Safety features in the X1 are, which really is inexcusable (as better system exists in many cheaper makes and fixing the problem would probably cost less than US$100), it would be a deal breaker for many drivers. Imho any serious review should highlight this weakness. I think it is not a coincidence that the pedestrian frontal collision warning is not included as standard for the X1 in many markets. As an aside, I have found the vehicle frontal collision warning to be very reliable.

Finally, it might be useful to highlight a very common complaint which many f48/f39 drivers had in cars from 2017-2019, namely it may not have Apple CarPlay and the feature can either not be activated or retrofitted or may require an annual subscription or will cost €500 for a genuine BMW fsc code. This last option being informal and only available through connected members of this forum and NOT available from any BMW main dealer. Because this forum is a community and we try to help each other, I support and repeat comment from dianebrat about driving traffic here and not YouTube.

Last edited by MJE60; 12-26-2020 at 05:59 AM..
Appreciate 2