View Single Post
      09-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #4
jrveron
Captain
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 m40i

You can check the OEM info here: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/...ve20i-eudm-189. I attached an extract from that site.

Apparently, you have 3 options:
  • 205/60R17 93H tire, on a 6.5Jx17 ET39 wheel.
  • 225/55R17 97H tire, on a 7.5Jx17 ET52 wheel.
  • 225/50R18 95H tire, on a 7.5Jx18 ET51 wheel.

You currently have a 225/50R18 tire, so if you want to keep the same wheels, you need to go with the same tire, but of course, one for winter. The downside of this approach (i.e., having the same wheel for summer and winter tires) is that you need to re-install the correct tire multiple times, so:
  1. you may damage the tires.
  2. what about if you want to go on vacation to Switzerland (snow weather) while summer on Lux? hahaha.
It sounds like a lot of effort and money wasted.

If you can buy a set of new wheels and tires for winter, I believe it's the best approach. As oakey46 mentioned, I also think the 205/60R17 is the best option. A higher tire wall may work better with deeper snow.

On the other hand, installing the wheels/tires with BMW will be more expensive because you need to buy them the wheels/tires, at least that's how it works here. So, I bought and installed the wheels/tires somewhere else and went to BMW only for alignment. I found that BMW is better for that, again, at least here in Mexico.

Finally, indeed, the star in the tire means BMW approved it. I never heard about a warranty issue for using another tire; however, I don't know how it works in the EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmankvt View Post
Thanks!

I have heard that BMW can void warranty if you do not use recommended tyres. Is that true?

Where can I see which (1) tyre brand and (2) tyre size should I use? One of the tyre shops I went to for a quote showed me the "star" sign on my summer tyres and mentioned this means it is a BMW approved tyre (have Continental Premium Contact 6 on currently).

In EU, the 'certificate of conformity' has a section on tyres sizes, but I am unclear on wether these are for summer or winter or both. I am guessing both, but just want to be 200% sure.

Also, how can I check compatibility of tyres with the wheels? I have the 579 Y wheel which came standard with my X-Line.
Attached Images