View Single Post
      12-08-2019, 03:48 AM   #6
ResidualJinx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch65 View Post
After several attempts to find good equalizer settings for the Bowers & Wilkins system in my 2019 M5 I asked a friend of a friend who is a very well-known recording engineer to take a shot at it. He has helped designed sound for multiple home theaters for his friends and is very well versed in acoustical settings. I really enjoyed the Bang & Olufsen system in my 2016 M5, so this Bowers & Wilkins system has been very disappointing as we all know, especially the Bass. I told him about the B & O system so I suggested we also have him listen to my friend’s 2015 M5 with the B & O. Then I contacted another guy I know who has a 2020 M5 Comp with the Harmon Kardon, so we had all 3 there for him to try out. (Can’t believe I didn’t take a picture of the 3 together??) I played him some music I have on my ITouch (which is all downloaded from CD’s using Apple Lossless) on all 3 cars and let him play with the settings. We both heard a big difference between all 3 cars as did my friends. We all agreed the 2015 M5 with the B & O was better overall than the B & W with the HK being the worst of the 3. He brought out his RTA and started playing some kind of pink noise. He then made some adjustments and played some more music on my ITouch (some of which he actually engineered himself) in all 3 cars. He said we really need to change the EQ settings when we change the music style Jazz/Rock/R & B etc…… His opinion was BMW gave Bowers & Wilkins specs of what room they had in the doors and Bowers delivered the speakers with very little testing in the 5 series, which is not a very good acoustical environment and would be a challenge. I have been noticing the F90’s doors seem much lighter than the F10 M5 so was wondering if that is changing the sound a bit. He also questioned whether the Subs buried in the floor boards below the front seats are weak or being held back due to power constraints, or that BMW did not use amps that had the power Bowers wanted. We all agreed the Bowers speakers did present better accuracy & detail for voice and instruments than the B & O, but thought the B & O system was a much better overall setup in the F10 than we have with the Bowers & Wilkins in the F90 with the HK at the bottom of the 3. All of us left with better settings than we had, so that was great. This is my 4th M5 so hoping the next generation has a better sound system in it. Are you listening BMW ??
Umm could you post those settings?
Appreciate 0