Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Bad neutral
Exactly. To get technical...A Neutral is a "bonding ground" that eventually ties in to a "bonded ground" or your ground wire in the panel.

I'm on my phone and can't see your location. But typically in the US for 220V/110V panels,the Hot will be black and coming off of your breaker, the Neutral will be White and will be tied into a bar inside the panel with other white wires. That bar is bonded to the ground bar where all your Greens (grounds) are attached.

Since the Neutral carries the residual voltage or any other imbalances back to the panel to eventually ground itself, it can do some crazy things if not connected securely.

If you plan to check it, make sure you test the circuit even after cutting the breaker off with a meter. Neutrals will sometimes be shared in the field where they aren't supposed to be. So you can turn off your breaker and still have voltage sitting on the Neutral.

I've rarely seen it in homes, but in plants....especially older facilities....I have seen some screwed up wiring and that kind of stuff will get you hurt.
Hawkeye2069.50