View Single Post
      05-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

BMW Apps / Enhanced BT & USB

My car is ordered, and I opted against getting BMW Apps, because from what I could tell, all it did for me was allow me to post to Facebook/Twitter or listen to Pandora. I really don't give a crap about any of those things so I didn't get the option.

However, after doing some digging it looks like if you don't get this option, you also can't stream bluetooth music, AND you have to buy a Y-cable in order to integrate your iPod into the iDrive system. It also appears that you don't get some voice activation features...not exactly sure what. This rather pisses me off, as it certainly wasn't made clear to me by the salesman nor the brochures and online materials I found. I also think having to buy a $70 cable after buying a $50,000 car just to get my iPod to work is complete BS. So...I have two questions:

1.) What voice control features do you not get if you don't get the BMW Apps w/Enhanced BT & USB? For example, if I hit the voice button and say 'Play Modest Mouse' or something would that work only if I had gotten this option? Can someone with these upgrades chime in as to what exactly I'm missing?

2.) Since it seems this is largely a software option, is it at all possible to purchase this as an add-on from my dealer after taking delivery?

Any help and information is appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0