View Single Post
      01-10-2021, 08:51 PM   #6
wcs2229
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X1 F48 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
For U.S and Canada owners I understand just OTA is available but would appreciate clarification and correction if whole of North America can be downloaded and installed via usb.
I can confirm for Canada (and likely for U.S.) that maps are updated OTA if you have subscribed to (i.e., paid for) the service. My understanding is that these are partial "delta" updates applied on top of the full maps that are already installed. This is probably because full maps would use a lot of data (GB's) that would exceed the basic LTE data plan. BMW here does not offer downloading to and installing from USB drive.

In my case, I purchased, downloaded and installed the full 2019-1 North America Way maps from an online vendor in 2019. OTA has since been updating them, so I am now at 2020-4. These updates are only for Canada and Alaska, not including the rest of U.S. and Mexico.

Although I seldom drive to U.S., I intend to purchase the full 2021 North America Way maps (and FSC if necessary) online to bring everything up-to-date.
Appreciate 1
MJE60678.00