RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

[QUOTE=m6pwr;15499147]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
Here is a link to Castrol recommending oil changes every 3K miles or 3 months. They give no alternative recommendation on synthetic oils so the ultimate impression that you get from this is those numbers are their standard no matter the oil type. Yes they do say that you should check with your auto makers recommendations (because it could vary slightly).

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=6004639

Well kudos to you Redline. You really did dig deep into the archives. I just emailed the Castrol chat line about their 3k advice -

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'AL2'
AL2: Thank you for contacting Castrol North America. How may I assist you today?
Richard: I'm looking at one of your DIY tips on how to change your oil. I can't believe what I'm reading. The tips says I should change my oil every 3000 mi or every three months. This DIY tip must be a relic of the archives decades old. Is it Castrol's current advice with some of your modern synthetics? I have a 2014 BMW and the mfr says to change the oil (Castrol by the way) evry 10k miles. What gives?
AL2: Castrol motor oil should be changed as recommended by your car owner’s manual or the oil life indicator for the type of service (normal or severe) that the vehicle is being operated under.
AL2: Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Richard
Richard: My recommendation would be to eliminate the 3k business. I don't have all the details readily at hand, but the Federal Trade Commission stopped one of the quick change franchises from advertising that it's necessary to change the oil every 3k miles. The bit about following the mfr recommended intervals is solid advice.
AL2: You have reached the Automotive and heavy Duty product technical forum however your satisfaction with our product is very important to us and we will be sure to forward your comments to our Marketing Departments.
AL2: You might like to visit www.mycastrolcrew.com to find out more about the Castrol Crew Loyalty Program for Castrol product users. This program allows you to earn Castrol Credits which can be redeemed towards Castrol branded merchandise and the website keeps you up to date regarding specific Castrol offers exclusive racing content. You may also join discussions with like-minded Castrol fans!
AL2: Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the engine manufacturer for the recommended SAE grade and API rating(s) specific to your application. This information can be found in the vehicles owner’s manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

Translation: BMW knows their s**t.
Bottom line: You are not doing anything to prolong the life of your engine by changing the oil every 3k/5k, whatever. But like the bumper sticker says, "if it feels good, do it!".

PS: Notice Castrol chat is forwarding my comments to their Marketing Dept - - which may be where the 3k tip originated - - lol.
haha ok good stuff. I'm gonna go with the feel good 5K changes and do the BMW service at 10. Any chance I can get to hang out in the garage and have a beer I take. Let's not forget that BMW did just drop their recommendations by 5 grand recently for reasons unknown, so in addition this will give a nice buffer so I don't end up like those who followed the older 15K rule, wondering what the hell is going on.

BTW I have a question. Does BMW do the services at the round numbers (10,20,30…etc) no matter what, or is it all actually based on what the CBS says only?

Edit: From re-reading above it seems that it is based on the CBS system and not mileage. Still, i'd like a confirmation (I know, ill call my CA) that they will not do my services at every 10K because the program might say its not ready. That is pretty messed up if that's the case.

Last edited by RedlinePSI; 02-24-2014 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0