02-23-2014, 02:37 AM   #14
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30luxline View Post
You must drive by your name here. The 30 yrs I have been changing oil I have never seen "black" oil at 3k mi. I used to be very loyal to Toyota before purchasing my F30 and my wife's e92. Toyota had a reco of 10k on my Tundra. My Corolla I pushed to 15k once and the oil still wasn't heavily discolored.

I have always used Castrol Syntec for as long as I remember.

Most synthetics are most harmful within 3~5k as this is when the initial breaking down of the oil happens and is most abrasive. You don't reap the benefits of a synthetic below this mileage and end up doing more harm.

I am a very conservative driver and baby my cars 95% of the time. I have been told my oil change interval is 15k
So you are saying that you do harm by putting fresh oil in a car? I've heard all the arguments about how the oil properties are supposed to change (and improve) over time but I dunno; I tend to trust what I've experienced before some paper science. Even if I would tend to believe it; I do not discredit science at all. Maybe you are right about your observation on my name. I don't drive like an idiot though. I drive smooth, and have fun when I feel like it. I got a 335 rather than a 328 because I like performance. If the truth shows that a BMW cant handle some enthusiast driving then maybe BMW is not for me and I'll make that decision at some point later.

My first new car was a Toyota Celica GTS which I ran to just under 100K miles before I sold it. I did Mobil 1 oil changes every 3K miles, and it ran like silk on the day I sold it.

Next car was an Evo X and the same deal. Not quite as many miles but I did 3K oil changes and never had any engine issues. Maybe you can chalk it up to a matter of habit if you want to but it seems to work for me. I am no engineer, but i'll be damned if I would bet that running 15K miles is safer than running 5K on one oil change.

At this point I know that engine oil will be black by the 3K mark on a Pontiac, Toyota, Mitsubishi, and a BMW. Yes... I'll continue to change my oil well ahead of the "recommended" 10 thousand mile mark now and for the foreseeable future.
Appreciate 0