02-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug piston View Post
Why? It's what BMW says is OK. The engines are designed for this, do you know something BMW's engineers do not know?
Here we go again. Anybody going well over 5K miles on a single oil change is doing harm. The recommended intervals are most likely set by the bean counters, as opposed to the engineers. I mean BMW seriously up and changes their recommended intervals by 5,000 miles!?!? That is so fucked up, and obviously a decision made in the boardroom, not the garage.

Do you think there is something magical about BMW's engines, or oil? It's the same physics as any other application. I just did my cars first oil change today, at about 3100 miles, and the oil was black. Now this is not surprising to me, but if you really think one round of oil is fine to drive 15,000 miles on this should concern you and make you think twice.

Seriously guys, if you bought your car and you care about it, do your oil at least every 5K miles. If BMW's new interval is really 10K miles, then I plan to split that in 2 by doing my own at every 5K. After my warranty is up, it will go up to every 3K as I've done on my previous cars. All of which ran like gems from beginning to end btw.
Appreciate 0