05-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #993
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I have Siri set up to only be activated by button press, not by the "Hey Siri" wake word or by lifting my wrist. Last thing I want is for someone to put a megaphone up to one of my windows and say "hey siri, unlock the front door" when I'm not home.

I did pick up an Echo Dot with Alexa when they were on Black Friday sale a few years ago, solely to evaluate the platform from a developer's perspective. It had a few different wake words to choose from, so I picked "computer" instead of "Alexa" to keep TV shows from ordering me doll houses. Problem was that I could no longer watch Star Trek, since the Enterprise also used "computer" as its wake word. One episode enabled self-destruct mode, where Alexa started rambling a news article until I yanked the power and sent Alexa to meet HAL after only three days.

Anyway, since I have both "day" and "night" Apple Watches and my DW has one as well, I have all of the home automations set up to be triggered by Siri on our watches.....
Smart.

I still have the Hey Siri wake words active because I primarily use it to set timers while cooking and it’s helpful to be able to do it hands free, but that’s also why I haven’t gone as far as smart locks. Worst case, someone could mess with the lights off and on. Opening the garage door triggers an alert so not too much risk there either. Big fan of reminder alerts when the garage door is open longer than 15 minutes too.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615389.00